Wednesday, April 28, 2010

White Chicken Chili & Wheat Bread

My sister Richelle is famous for her amazing wheat bread and chicken chili.. so I decided to try her recipe out!

First we'll start with the Wheat Bread
In bowl mix:
1 T yeast
1/4 c warm water
In mixer mix:
2 1/2 c warm water
1/4 c brown sugar
3 1/2 c wheat flour
1 T salt (last time I made bread I put in TOO much salt... so I was scared and maybe put in half a tablespoon. But what I forgot was that last time I put in 2 tablespoons instead of 2 teaspoons. I guess the full one would have worked out after all)
1/3 c applesauce OR vegetable oil (I didn't have applesauce for the healthy version).

Mix ingredients together. Add an additional 2-3 c wheat flour. Kneed 4-10 min. Place in greased bread pans. Raise till double. Bake 38 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes 2 loaves.
This time around everything mixed so nicely!! And rose so fantastic as well. I only have one bread pan, so the other waited around on the cutting board (bad idea. When it was time to put the 2nd loaf in it deflated when I picked it up and looked so ugly after I baked it! haha)
 See how pretty it looks this time??! Yay!

Now for the White Chicken Chili
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 small chopped yellow onion
1 - 7 oz can diced green chilies
1 - 15 oz can great northern beans
2 - 15 oz white beans
1 lb ground turkey

Boil chicken breasts in about 2-3 cups of water flavored with 2-3 chicken bouillons. Add salt and pepper to the taste. Remove chicken, shred and place back in broth.
Since I made it earlier in the day Ian was able to help me out and shred the chicken :)
Next..
Saute chopped onions in oil till tender. Add ground turkey and cook till no longer pink.
After taking this picture I realized pink ground turkey doesn't look appetizing! hah
Then add to the broth. Add diced green chilies, Drain all beans and add to broth. Mix and cook till warm. Serve topped with grated cheese and sour cream (optional).
It was SO yummy. I mixed it all in time for Ian to take to work tonight. Then I gave my brother in law some for helping us move Kyle out. THEN Kyle and I had a bowl and I still had 2 servings left over! So needless to say.. this serves 6 people!

But yes, my brother moved out of our house today. I'm seriously SO sad. With Ian at school and work all day and night I've really enjoyed my brothers company. I cooked for him, watched tv with him.. and actually had someone to talk to. I'm so sad he left :(
Guess it's time for him to be a grown up!

No comments:

Post a Comment