Thursday, September 23, 2010

Homemade Chili

The other day I was complaining on Facebook for someone to cook me dinner. Then a friend of mine sent me a link to Pepper's Famous Chili. I decided to alter it a touch, since that's what I do best.

Here's what I used:
1 lb ground beef
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can kidneys beans with liquid
(I used white instead of black)
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans with liquid
1/2 cup diced onion
(don't put onions down the disposal. apparently it makes the water stink! or so says Ian. Sorry babe!!)
1/4 cup diced celery
1 tsp cumin
2 T. chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt


Brown beef and drain liquid. Crumble beef, put into crock pot and mix in all other ingredients. Cook for 2 hours (mine was on the 4 hour high setting).


While it was cooking I also made some mini loafs of Wheat Bread! :) The only problem with them this time is that I didn't wait long enough for them to raise. So it tore the bread while it cooked it. Oh well.. at least it taste good!


It was very tasty! Here's the original recipe. I underlined the differences. It was mostly just the fact that I used canned tomatoes instead of fresh.

Pepper's Famous Chili

1 lb ground beef
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can kidneys beans with liquid
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans with liquid
2 med. tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced celery
1 tsp cumin
1 T chili powder (2 T. if you like it hot)
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
1 cup water

No comments:

Post a Comment